Sunday, February 25, 2007

Lent

I've decided this year that I'm going to observe Lent for the first time. I'm a bit late, as Lent started Wednesday the 21st, but I'll just start now. :-) We're going to give up fast food for 40 days. This may seem strange, considering that I'm a vegetarian and pretty health-conscious, but the last few months we've been eating a lot of Burger King veggie burgers and Taco Time because we were on the road for so long and got used to eating on the go, plus cooking in someone else's kitchen just feels kinda strange. And those veggie burgers can be pretty satisfying if done right... Anyhoo... Matt's trying to lose weight and I'm embarrassed to admit I'm eating fast food regularly, so this will be good for us. It's not exactly deep and spiritual, but it is a habit I want to break for our health. With Matt's family history of heart disease, it's my responsibility to protect the heart of the love of my life. (BTW, I'm not counting Subway - it's somewhat healthy if you choose wisely, and sometimes you gotta eat on the run!).


The link below is interesting, and he suggests also adding something positive for Lent. We're going to add our morning walks. We've been doing this off and on, but it's so wonderful to have time outside and to be able to be alone and talk.

I should probably do something deeper than this, but I'm at the Kindergarten level of Christianity, so this is where I'm starting for Lent. :-)


http://www.spirithome.com/lent.html

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is awesome! Justin and I are Christians but we have never observed Lent....let me know how it goes for you. I'm interested in knowing. I wish you and Matt the best with this new venture! :-)

Carly Fay said...

Thanks! It'll be obvious if we slip and hit the drive-thru b/c I'll have to post it in my spending, haha. It's amazing how being held accountable for my purchases has made me rethink everything I buy. This year I just really want to be mindful at all times - little actions become big problems if we're not smart about it. :-)

*Dani* said...

The 'kindergarden' level of Christianity may not be a bad place to be. You're like pooh, the uncarved block. : )

Probably only you know what I mean. And possibly little Sarah. I tell her she's pooh, the uncarved block all the time.

Carly Fay said...

Ah, The Tao of Pooh. I love that book! I wish I had it to read right now. :-)

Anonymous said...

how is Lent going?

Carly Fay said...

It's going really well! We haven't had any fast food at all, and we've walked every morning! :-D